Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice VLAN not coming up

bassono_t
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I configured CME with QCT on a 2801. My network already has data vlans configured and a 3550 switch is being used for inter vlan routing. All access switches connect to the 3550. The CME router also connects directly to the 3550 with 2 subinterfaces(one for data and the other for voice). I created a voice VLAN interface on the 3550 switch but that interface never comes up on the 3550 switch(status = down / prot = down ) . Since the phones will connecting from the access switches, unless the voice vlan interface comes up on the 3550 they will not be able to reach CME router. I have doubled checked, shutting down and bringing the voice VLAN but it always stays down. Connectivity exist between the 3550 and CME router through the native vlan but, the voice subinterface is up on the CME router but voice VLAN interface remains down on the switch.

Thanks for coming to my rescue.

1 Reply 1

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

first i want to get more details about ur config and design

as i see from ur desicrition u have access switch conncted to L3 switch which 3550 then connected to CME

the question why u created voice vlan on the 3550?

it should be normal vlan with the same vlan id as the voive valn configured o n the access switch

let say on the access switch u have the folwoing

interface fa0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

voice vlan 20

spaning-tree portfast

nos hut

now the data vlan is vlan 10

voice vlan is 20

now the connection between the access switch with L3 switch 3550 must be a trunk

now on the 3550 u should have

interface vlan 10

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip helper address [cme vlan 10 ip]

no shut

interface vlan 20

ip address 20.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address [cme vlan 20 ip]

no shut

in the above config i put IPs just for this example and i assumed the DHCP config on the CME is configured

and because u do the vlan routing on the 3550 u have to put the vlan interface as a default gateway for each corsponding vlan

good luck

please, if helpful rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card