cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN + HSRP

Deltaplane23
Level 1
Level 1

I got 2 Cisco 3640 routers in one site with HSRP.

Same on the remote site.

The link between the 2 sites is a T1 512kbps fragmentation.

Can I add a VPN with 512kbps or 256kbps between these two sites ?

If not, what is the best solution ?

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What VPN? VPN through internet or MPLS VPN?

Regards,

Dandy

The 3640 doesn't support MPLS right?

It's for a temporary link, no extra hardware will be added, so I think VPN through Internet would be the best choice.

We had 2 routers with HSRP, how will the VPN work if HSRP is used ? Will it be in the hot standby process too or will it be stand alone ?

It's the first time that I got to work with VPN so I'm not very sure about VPN concept except over Internet.

Somebody asked me if it was possible to put this VPN over the link, if not I would like to know why.

Thank you.

Jonathan

If you want to do VPN over the T1 you certainly can do so. But I am not sure why you would want to do this. Most of the time people do VPN because they are sending information over untrusted links. But a T1 originates in your network and terminates in your network and so most people would regard this as a trusted link. Is there a reason that you want to run VPN over the T1? If there is a reason it is certainly possible to run VPN over the T1.

As to the relationship between HSRP and VPN they are quite different things. The VPN is not associated with the hot standby process. It is hard to give exact answers without knowing a bit more about your environment and your requirements. But usually you would run a separate VPN on each of the routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card