Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN on Cisco 1700 series Router time stamp log

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i have setup eazy VPN on cisco 1700 series router & workz fine. when ever i log in to that router thru vpn client , i check the log in the router, it shows the client connected IP address & private IP address assigned to the client, but the time stamps shows me the router up time"4w5d", is that possbile to show the time of log in?(eg.13:03:54 IST) because in my 29050 switches i have configured "service timestamps log datetime localtime show-timezone" & i get the time stamp as &(eg.(13:03:54 IST, imean if the port goes up or down this time stamp will be there), same thing i have done in this router also, but it shows me the router up time & not the clock time. instead i get like ...."4w5d"(which is the router up time) any help would appreciated.

12 Replies 12

foxbatreco
Level 3
Level 3

Hii,

U can set the timezones using the following:

clock set hh:mm:ss followed by day,month & year.

this should be supplied at the privilege level.

Hope it helps,rate if it does.

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Have you configured the following command in 1700 router ?

service timestamps log datetime show-timezone year

Have you configured the clock timezone in 1700 router ?

Thanks,

satish

Thankz for the reply,

i have already mentioned that the time zone everything is configured in my previous statement itself. any other suggestionz?

Hi

Can u pls check you have configured this

service timestamps log datetime localtime show-timezone

regards

vanesh k

Hi,

Iam very sorry for my reply as I didnt see your full post

regards

vanesh k

Hi Anand

Do post the config taken from your router related to timezone/logs.

regds

Anand

In spite of the unfortunate suggestion in the first several responses that it was an issue with timezone, your issue is almost certainly an issue with service timestamps log (as several responses have suggested). Please post what is configured on the router for service timestamps so that we may help you with resolution of this problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

this is what configured on the router related to the time stamp.

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log datetime localtime show-timezone

service password-encryption

service sequence-numbers

clock timezone IST 5 30

with the above i get this log

007951: 4w5d: ISAKMP (0:1): Old State = IKE_P1_COMPLETE New State = IKE_P1_COMPLETE

Hi Anand

Can you try the below command & check ?

service timestamps debug datetime localtime show-timezone

regds

Hi Prem,

thanks a lot for the reply, exactly it worked out to my satisfaction with the command u specified.

Anand

The issue is with the command:

service timestamps debug uptime

if you change it to:

service timestamps debug datetime localtime show-timezone

I believe you will get the results that you want.

I had not realized until you posted this that the messages you were referencing are debug messages rather than normal syslog messages. Are you routinely running debug to track user access via VPN?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Anand ,

To configure the system to apply a time-stamp to debugging messages or system logging messages, use the service timestamps command in global configuration mode. To disable this service, use the no form of this command.

service timestamps [debug | log] [ uptime | datetime [msec] [localtime] [show-timezone] [year] ]

no service timestamps [debug | log]

Syntax Description

debug

Indicates timestamping for debugging messages.

log

Indicates timestamping for system logging messages.

uptime

(Optional) Specifies that the time stamp should consist of the time since the system was last rebooted. For example "4w6d" (time since last reboot is 4 weeks and 6 days).

?This is the default timestamp format for both debugging messages and logging messages.

?The format for uptime varies depending on how much time has elapsed:

?HHHH:MM:SS (HHHH hours: MM minutes: SS seconds) for the first 24 hours

?DdHHh (D days HH hours) after the first day

?WwDd (W weeks D days) after the first week

datetime

(Optional) Specifies that the time stamp should consist of the date and time.

?The time stamp format for datetime is MMM DD HH:MM:SS, where MMM is the month, DD is the date, HH is the hour (in 24-hour notation), MM is the minute, and SS is the second.

?If the datetime keyword is specified, you can optionally add the msec localtime, show-timezone, or year keywords.

?If the service timestamps datetime command is used without addtional keywords, timestamps will be shown using UTC, without the year, without milliseconds, and without a time zone name.

msec

(Optional) Includes milliseconds in the time stamp, in the format HH:DD:MM:SS.mmm, where .mmm is milliseconds

localtime

(Optional) Time stamp relative to the local time zone.

year

(Optional) Include the year in the datetime format.

show-timezone

(Optional) Include the time zone name in the time stamp.

Note If the localtime keyword option is not used (or if the local time zone has not been configured using the clock timezone command), time will be displayed in Universal Coordinated Time (UTC).

Hope it heplps you.

Thanks,

satish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: