Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Solution for Primary and DR connectivity

We have IPSec VPN connectivity to our clients as our primary link and now we are also planing to setup DR over VPN however I cant figure out how to configure client site routers, because of financial issues we have to use the same router on client site for production and DR. We do not run any routing protocol with client (all Static).

The issues I have

1) how to setup 2 separate tunnels on the same routers for the same traffic (source and destination will remain same)

2) The DR tunnel should not come up as long as the primary connection is good.

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: VPN Solution for Primary and DR connectivity

Muhammad

At a customer site we had a similar effort to provide connectivity over IPSec VPN and to provide redundancy. After considering several alternatives we decided to do several things differently than what you describe. We decided to do IPSec with GRE tunnels. We allow both tunnels to be active to reduce convergence time (if the primary tunnel fails we do not want to have delay while we wait for the second tunnel to be negotiated, SAs established, etc). We run a dynamic routing protocol over the tunnel. This very nicely handles the question of how the remote will detect a problem with the primary at the central site and how to know how to route over the primary tunnel or over the backup.

But if you want to implement on the design that you have started, here is a suggestion. On the remote client site router you can define two peers in the crypto map. I have seen people say that this means that the router will initiate a tunnel with the first (primary) peer and if that fails it will initiate a tunnel with the second peer. I had that configured on some routers for a while and it looked to me like the router negotiated both tunnels and had both tunnels active. You might try the configuration where the remote client router is configured with two peers in the same crypto map and see how it works for you.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content