Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF configuration question

Hi friends,

I'm thinking about a vrf design in the moment. I think everything is fine in the moment but I found a configuration command that I don't understand and why or when I should use it.

I create a vrf and assign the vrf to the interface thats all I need and it works fine, but in all config guidest I found these command and I don't understand it.

Switch(config)#

ip vrf v11

Switch(config-vrf)#

I know vrf v11 wille be created but the next three I don't understand

rd 800:1

Switch(config-vrf)#

route-target export 800:1

Switch(config-vrf)#

route-target import 800:1

thanks in advance

Sebastian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

the rd is the route distinguisher which will be added to the IP address to make a VPNv4 address of 96 bits, this way same prefixes will be distinguishable.

The rt is the route-target which is an extended community attribute used in MP-BGP to know which VPNv4 routes to import or export from its BGP table  from/to the VRF IPv4 RIB. export on one side must match import on other side.

All these are used in MPLS VPNs and not in VRF lite  which surely you want to configure.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

the rd is the route distinguisher which will be added to the IP address to make a VPNv4 address of 96 bits, this way same prefixes will be distinguishable.

The rt is the route-target which is an extended community attribute used in MP-BGP to know which VPNv4 routes to import or export from its BGP table  from/to the VRF IPv4 RIB. export on one side must match import on other side.

All these are used in MPLS VPNs and not in VRF lite  which surely you want to configure.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain,

great that makes it clear for me.

U are right, I just want to use vrf-lite for LAN enviroment to answer some requirements.

Thanks have a nice day..

Sebastain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: