Views
Helpful
Replies

vrf connections

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

hello,

I am new to vrf related things. If someone could help me understand why and in what situations do vrf apply.

& what are its merits , demerits.

TIA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I just wanted to point out something in the Mahesh post, the RD in fact makes the IP unique but it is not an unique value for the VRF the value that identifies de VRF is the Route Target(RT) you can have multiples RD in the same VRF(for redundancy and load balance purposes).

VRF are used primirly on the Service Provider side, on the custurmer side you usually have VRF Lite for which you do not need MPLs.

This links has more info for VRF-Lite: PacketLife VRF Lite

btellez

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Vrf is virtual routing and forwarding...

Like suppose in case of service provider environment many customers are terminating with overlapping addressing scheme and to differentiate

all of them a vrf is configured with unique RD value to every vrf and by prepending RD to that of 32 bit prefix it becomes unique.

for ex: If customer A is using IP address 10.10.10.0/24 and customer B is also using same address 10.10.10.0/24 . Now to differentiate both at provider router Two vrf is configured like below

vrf A

RD 100:1

route-target both 100:1

and

vrf B

RD 100:2

route-target both 100:2

Now when you see prefix at provider end router it looks like

for cust A:  100:1:10.10.10.0/24

for cust B:  100:2:10.10.10.0/24

you can se here both are unique with addition of RD to them.

Regards

Mahesh

I just wanted to point out something in the Mahesh post, the RD in fact makes the IP unique but it is not an unique value for the VRF the value that identifies de VRF is the Route Target(RT) you can have multiples RD in the same VRF(for redundancy and load balance purposes).

VRF are used primirly on the Service Provider side, on the custurmer side you usually have VRF Lite for which you do not need MPLs.

This links has more info for VRF-Lite: PacketLife VRF Lite

btellez

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: