cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF Lite and default/management VRF

rrfield
Level 1
Level 1

I have been doing a little research on VRF lite and would like some clarification...

If there is an existing router with a standard configuration...and an admin wishes to add a new VRF to the physical box for one reason or another...

Do the exsiting interfaces need to be moved to a VRF as well?  In my lab, it appears that the original configuration contains the "global routing table" and is, in essence, a "default VRF" for lack of a better term (I think I've seen references to a Management VRF?).  The new VRF does appear to be isolated from the default/managment VRF.

Is it a best practice to not use the default/management VRF for production traffic? Or is it ok to keep the original config in place, "bolt on" the new VRF, and move on?

My appologies for all the "quote marks"

2 Replies 2

Is it a best practice to not use the default/management VRF for production traffic? Or is it ok to keep the original config in place, "bolt on" the new VRF, and move on?

Yes, Management VRF is more for managment purposes like OOB if I may say. It's good to isolate that and not mix it with production traffic.

HTH

kishore

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As the above post mentioned it is like out of band management

Also it is good idea to isolate  management traffic and routing from other type of traffic but not must

Hope this help

If helpful rate

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card