cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

hi....just wanted to know what VRF means and how it works....i have lil bit idea abt it but not getting it properly....i even tried to look for a basic document on cisco webite but diddnt get it.....so can someone plz help me.....and possibly if someone can give me link for VRF doscumentation and understanding

2 Replies 2

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

vrf is used in different scenarios.

What are you designing ?

vlad

jenseike
Level 1
Level 1

VRF stands for VPN routing/forwarding table..

VRF is a feature that enables a service provider to support two or more customers(VPN), where IP addresses can be overlapped among the customers. VRF uses input interfaces to distinguish routes for different VPNs and forms virtual packet-forwarding tables (virtual routing tables) by associating one or more Layer 3 interfaces with each VRF.

With introducing of vrf is LAN switches you are now also able to implement vrf in to the campus network..

With VRF-lite, you have the flexibility of using any IP address space for any given VPN, regardless of whether it overlaps or conflicts with other VPNs' address space. This flexibility is beneficial in many scenarios.

For example rather than extending a VLAN across the network to provide guest access, guest traffic is isolated to a unique VRF at each distribution layer switch. The traffic is then transported across the corporate LAN through the GRE tunnel to a central device, such as an Internet edge router.

Jens Petter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card