Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRRP in Cisco Router.

Hi,

We are planning to implement VRRP in the Cisco router. After moving through the certain document about the VRRP I believe that there are certain difference between VRRP and HSRP.

1. HSRP uses floating VIP however in case of VRRP the VIP will be physically assigned IP address of Virtual router master i.e IP address owner. Please suggest whether this configuration will be correct in this regard..

Active router (Virtual router master)

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. interface fa0/1

4. ip address 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.0

5. vrrp 100

6. vrrp 100 ip 10.1.1.3

Passive Router

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. interface fa0/1

4. ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

5. vrrp 100

6. vrrp 100 ip 10.1.1.3

2. In case of failover will it be possible to telnet to the active router using the VIP. I have heard that in case of VRRP it will not be possible to telnet to VIP rather LAN IP address should be used.

3. Also suggest whether VRRP supports ICMP redirects. Please find enclosed the document that I had referred for HSRP and VRRP. In page 26-28 there is an example of ICMP redirect in HSRP not sure same is supported in VRRP also.

4. Currently our management has decided to move to IEEE standard protocol instead of vendor specific one. Could anyone please let me know the difference between these two protocol and what will be the impact as we have to schedule downtime for implementation in all our routers. AFAIK. Multicast IP address is different in both protocols, HSRP uses UDP and VRRP has its own protocol number in IP header and does rely on UDP or TCP.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Deepak

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: VRRP in Cisco Router.

The VRRP will reply to a redirect with the src IP equal to the interface address which means that the compliant clients will ignore the ICMP redirect.In case of failover.For more information refer

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008042fbd9.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content