Helpful
Replies

VTI tunnel on two different ISP

micalr112
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I have one interesting problem with local PBR on 2921 router. Here is the case,

On HQ site there is 2921 router with two directly connected ISP, and there is Branch which is connected to only one ISP.

The configuration should be to connect HQ router to Branch router with two VTI tunnels, so that each tunnel on HQ site should be

terminated on different ISP, and EIGRP will be monitoring each VTI status.The problem is on HQ site, there is only one way to specify router

with LOCAL PBR configuration, so router should send on ISP1 terminated tunnel traffic to ISP1, and on ISP2 interface terminated tunnel traffic to ISP2.

As I know this configuratino should work, but I could't make it work on c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-4.M4.bin IOS, and on

c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-2.T1.bin.

Here is simple config:

ISP1 ip is 1.1.1.1

ISP2 ip is 2.2.2.2

3.3.3.3 is Branch ip address.

!

ip vrf BRANCH

rd 9:9

!

interface Tunnel1

description TO.BRANCH.ISP1

ip vrf forwarding BRANCH

ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.252

tunnel source 1.1.1.1

tunnel mode ipsec ipv4

tunnel destination 3.3.3.3

tunnel protection ipsec profile Encrypt

!

!

interface Tunnel2

description TO.BRANCH.ISP2

ip vrf forwarding BRANCH

ip address 192.168.0.5 255.255.255.252

tunnel source 2.2.2.2

tunnel mode ipsec ipv4

tunnel destination 3.3.3.3

tunnel protection ipsec profile Encrypt

access-list 1 permit host 1.1.1.1

access-list 2 permit host 2.2.2.2

!

route-map PBR permit 10

match ip address 1

set ip next-hop 1.1.1.3(ISP1 next host)

!

route-map PBR permit 20

match ip address 2

set ip next-hop 2.2.2.3(ISP2 next host)

!

ip local policy route-map PBR

when I configure one default static route, it starts workig, but both tunnels go with specified ISP, and also there is no vrf problem,

when there is no any vrf config it also don't work. gre tunnels also dont work.

Do you have any idea how make this think work ?

4 Replies 4

Hi Michael,

If I understand correct, then you have to check the routing for the destination IP of the tunnels.

For instance, when you configure the default route which next hop did you use? If you use as next hop the IP of one ISP then you should expect both tunnels go with specified ISP since both tunnels destination IP will be routed via one ISP link.

You need to have routing (e.g. 2 static routes to send the tunnel destination IP to each one of the 2 ISPs.

So, the router could send on ISP1 terminated tunnel traffic to ISP1, and on ISP2 interface terminated tunnel traffic to ISP2.

I should notice that the PBR will be applied only for packets that match the Access-list 1,2.

Hope that helps,

Vasilis

Hello Vasileios,

I don't understand how to configure static routing so that ISP1 tunnel traffic go via ISP1 and ISP2 tunnel traffic go via ISP2. Because branch have one ip address, If I configure two static routes with destination network of branch ip and next hop one with ISP1 next hop address and second with ISP2 ip address there will be juts load balancing ??

Hi michael,

the conifg looks not correct

however i would start with basic questions what you trying to achive

for example secure tunneling between HQ and branch ?

why you are using VRF on the tunnel interface ?

have you considered using DMVPN with ipsec ? simple and dynamic

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6586/ps6635/ps6658/prod_presentation0900aecd80313c9d.pdf

when you pin do you use vrf keyword in the ping ?

i fyou can provide simple diagram with the requirements and how the routing looks like without tunneling will be good to help you

this is also a vey good concept that you might use I-VRF and FVRF with the DMVPN tunneling

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6586/ps6660/prod_white_paper0900aecd8034be03_ps6658_Products_White_Paper.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card