cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC-2MFT-T1 or VWIC2-2MFT-T1

tadamson
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at using some of these interfaces in a 3800 series router, and was wondering what the dis/advantages of each one is. I know the VWIC2-2MFT-T1 is the second generation, but beyond that I don't know.

Thanks for any help

6 Replies 6

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Apart from the improved chipsets in the second generation cards, you get other improvements such as the ability to have independent clocks on both T1 lines, which was not possible with the first generation card.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Here is an excerpt from cisco defination :

The Cisco MFT VWIC2 cards add numerous improvements over the Cisco MFT VWIC cards. These improvements include:

? Dedicated echo-cancellation option---The Cisco MFT VWIC2 cards have an onboard slot for a Cisco MFT Dedicated Echo Cancellation Module (part number EC-MFT-32 or EC-MFT-64), offering an enhanced echo-cancellation capability for demanding network conditions.

? Support for both T1 and E1---The Cisco T1/E1 MFT VWIC2 cards support both T1 and E1, providing additional flexibility in configuring the MFT VWIC2 cards for supporting T1, fractional T1, E1, and fractional E1 for both voice and WAN applications.

? Drop-and-insert capability on all versions---All Cisco MFT VWIC2 modules now include the drop-and-insert multiplexing capability, eliminating costly external third-party channel service units/data service units (CSUs/DSUs) and drop-and-insert multiplexers.

? Enhanced clocking capabilities---The Cisco 2-port MFT VWIC2 cards also can enable each port to be clocked from independent clock sources for data applications. This independent clocking capability is not supported for voice applications or with the Cisco ATM/Voice Advanced Integration Modules (part number AIM-ATM, AIM-VOICE-30, AIM-ATM-VOICE-30).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028d2e5.shtml

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Thanks for the information. On a follow up question that a coworker would like for me to ask -- On the 2-port modules, can you or can't you run two seperate T-1 PtP links at the same time to separate locations.

We are looking at 8, possibly 10 T-1s into a couple of routers. I believe it would be feasable to use these modules to free up space in the routers.

Thoughts?

Yes, they are shown as 2 separate serial interfaces which you can use as you desire.

rsculthorp
Level 1
Level 1

Just an FYI. Before you install the VWIC2, if that is the card you go with, check your IOS. I had to upgrade my IOS to 12.3(x) to get the router to even identify that the card was installed and then had about 5 go araounds with Cisco's tech support (they were VERY helpful) to get a version of the 12.3(11r) that would load and not cause the router to crash on boot.

It was really frustrating.

I was running the 3845 as a voip boundry router to my remote offices and to the pstn.

Rod

Thanks for that information. We haven't ordered anything as of yet, but we are leaning towards either the 3825 or 3845. Short term it will be strickly data. Long term will probably include some VoIP connections.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card