cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake on Lan

mx
Level 1
Level 1

I have been doing some reading here for wake on Lan, and followed some of the directions that has been posted here, but Im still not having luck. (I also started a thread a week or two ago, but cant find it now?!?!)

Anyway, I have a PC in one location that needs to wake a PC in another location.

In the originating location I have the ip forward-protocol udp 61, and on the receiving side I have the access list.

Attached are the two router configs. BR1 is originating, and BR5 is destination. I think I might see my issue but Im not sure how to fix it, even though I have the access list (101), I need to apply it to vlan 10, (right?) If I apply it, the implied deny all will break everything else, unless Im totally missing something here. Any tips appreciated!

Bob

2 Replies 2

ryabutler
Level 1
Level 1

You need an IP helper to the destination broadcast network end of BR5.

For example,

If I want to do a WOL to the 192.168.100.0 /24 network then that config from the network that would send the WOL request would be ...

interface ethernet0

ip helper-address 192.168.100.255

ip forward-protocol udp 61

That may cause some other potential conflicts if have DHCP running on your network also with helpers setup.

I would also suggest remove the ACLs and focus on functionality first then once it works focused on security & protection.

HI There thanks for the reply. On BR1, I did put an ip helper address to 192.168.5.1 (the router where the WOL destination PC is). but that didtn work either so I removed it. I will remove the ACL and try the helper address again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card