Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WAN Circuit bandwidth measuremet

I tested WAN circuit bandwidth from a central site to two remote locations by using FTP test.  WAN circuits to both remote locations have the same bandwidth.  WAN circuit to remote location A is being used more than WAN circuit to remote location B; however, WAN circuit to remote location A was not heavily utilized during the tests.  Test results to remote location B is always better than the ones to remote location A.  Nonetheless, test results from both remote locations are far less than the provider's guaranteed bandwidth.  My questions are as follow:

1. I believe my results are based on a test of a single TCP connection.  Is there a way to test the circuit actual bandwidth?
  2. What is the best tool for testing circuit bandwidth?
  3. Why is it that my test result to remote location B is always better than test result to remote location A (Same circuit bandwidth, and same test condition)?

Any additional advise is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES

Re: WAN Circuit bandwidth measuremet

Hi,

1. You can have multiple simultaneous ICMP traffic with various types from multiple system.. I used one of unix system more than 50-60 ICMP sessions and check with the help of monitoring how much traffic it can sustain to.. (not recommended method but can use if no tool available)
  2. There are couple network stress tool available to check the maximum data you can send over the network
  3. This depend upon the circuit bearer cha. it it is identical the ideally response should be same.. check with your service provider it difference is noticeable.

With regards,

Shailesh

Re: WAN Circuit bandwidth measuremet

Do you know of any windows based tools?  Thank you.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content