Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN extension MPLS - how to patch routers onto local network

Hi

I have a query about a new MPLS connection we have installed between our main campus and a remote site.

On Site A we have a 877 Router which is connected directly to Site B and anoth 877 Router using an MPLS tunnel. On both routers I can ping the other router so the actual physical link is up and connecting both ends.

I now need to know how I can route traffic destinted for a certain network to use this link.

For example....

Site A local network (behind firewall) 10.255.0.0

Site B local network (behind ASA firewall using a different connection which will be redundant after this) 192.168.15.0

I suppose my main query is how do I config the routers to be patched onto the local networks, I will post the configs of each which currently mainly contain the ISP's settings.

Can I simply patch the routers into switches and by pass the firewalls as the tunnel is secure and have no access to the internet via it.

Thanks a mil

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: WAN extension MPLS - how to patch routers onto local network

drikilbride wrote:

Hi

I have a query about a new MPLS connection we have installed between our main campus and a remote site.

On Site A we have a 877 Router which is connected directly to Site B and anoth 877 Router using an MPLS tunnel. On both routers I can ping the other router so the actual physical link is up and connecting both ends.

I now need to know how I can route traffic destinted for a certain network to use this link.

For example....

Site A local network (behind firewall) 10.255.0.0

Site B local network (behind ASA firewall using a different connection which will be redundant after this) 192.168.15.0

I suppose my main query is how do I config the routers to be patched onto the local networks, I will post the configs of each which currently mainly contain the ISP's settings.

Can I simply patch the routers into switches and by pass the firewalls as the tunnel is secure and have no access to the internet via it.

Thanks a mil

Your description of where things are is a little confusing but in answer to your question about whether you need to firewall the MPLS. If the MPLS link is purely for your own private WAN then unless you have very high security requirements it is fine to not firewall these connections.

Jon

Re: WAN extension MPLS - how to patch routers onto local network

Hi Jon

If I dont go down the firewall route which I probably wont how is the best way to then patch the two routers into both our main site network and our remote site network.

I was thinking of somethine along the lines of the following but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks again

Router A

interface fa0/2

description WanLinktoRemoteSite

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252

duplex auto

speed auto

int vlan1

description Internal Network

ip address 10.255.251.1 255.255.0.0

ip route 192.168.14.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.2

Router B