cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN failover solution for Data

musakazim
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking into improve my companies network performance, in term of resilience.

We have one head office, one Data center and two-branch offices. At the Data center serves VoIP solution for all three sites (head office and 2-branch office).

 At the moment Data Center serves VoIP solution for all three sites

 There is Data traffic between the 2 branch office and Head office, using the data center link for voice

 And each branch office has a back up line for the data solution, which run over VPN (Internet) to the head office.

 If the Data Center link goes down, we change the static IP address on the Access Router of each branch office so that it can use the VPN link for data connectivity with the head office

 At the moment all links are using static routes

 All the links between sites and Data Center are 10Meg lease line.

My question is

 Can I introduce logic in the Access router of each branch office so that if the Data center Voice link goes down, the data traffic can be routed to the head office over VPN(Internet)

 Can I use this logic with 3rd party firewall

 Do I need to introduce routing protocol, like on-demand routing or OSPF

 What will be the approach to have a good and resilient network

Attach is the diagram for your reference.

Thanks in advance, your thoughts will be much appreciated.

1 Reply 1

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

From your diagram... i can judge following topics.

1)if you are running on static route, You can use floating route to divert traffic when primary link goes down.

2) You are suppose running on checkpoint firewall. That is implemented on windows PC.

If it is true than, you can also add manual route into that windows pc to divert traffic.

3) As per you are asking OSPF solution... it will be work but above solution..... you can put in production without any impact.

In OSPF you have to be create AREA and might be redistribute OR you have to be observe traffice. How it takes place.

You are seating with datacenter... downtime problem obvious. and if you are desturbing whole routing table... it could be happen to get downtime.

For the OSPF Migration you have to prepare completaly.

Look out what best you can use both of them.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco