cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Failover &Take over

engraed96
Level 1
Level 1

I have main router which has a primary &secondary WAN links connected to remote site also with P&S WAN links connection to the main site one connection through IP-VPN (MPLS ) using BGP routing(Primary)&the other link through lease line using static routing (Secondary) my question is how to configure the main &remote routers for failover in case one of the links goes down &how to ensure my primary link will take over again in case returned UP ?

6 Replies 6

hasnain321
Level 1
Level 1

It is hard for me to understand your topology. Can you make it more clear, if you attach a diagram that will help a lot to understand.

Thanks

Hasnain

engraed96
Level 1
Level 1

see the next post

engraed96
Level 1
Level 1

Can you plz see the attached file to see the topology .Does the changing AD value for both routing will meet my demands ? which was to let primary link forward the traffic to the remote site &secondary link as backup line &in case primary link goes down &secondary link take over for traffic forwarding to the remote site what will happen if the primary link returned up again?

Hi Alnajjar, There is no such requirement to configure, you can configure the BGP as you needed for primary and just configure the secondary as Static Route with the highest AD, then BGP. If BGP or Primary goes down then router will automatically find the Static as secondary. Thanks, Goutam.

Thanks qoutam for your response.

Actually i got your point but i need to know what will happen if the primary link again returned up i mean, does it will take the place of the active link or what ?

Hi Alnajjar, It will shift automatically to the Primary link and will start to communicate by the routing protocol BGP, because you are using the highest AD for static route, as Cisco follows the lowest AD is the best route. Thanks Goutam, please rate if I am informative!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card