WAN failover

titomen77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I have the following scenario:

2 WAN LINKS ----Router1 (active)

----------------Router2 (pasive)

if router 1 fails i have to change manually the cables from router1 to router2. I would like to know the best option in order to automatize this task.

I was wondering if there a device that switch connection from one router to another or something like that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

8 Replies 8

u1kumar2002
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Orlando,

There are many ways to get it done.

If you want you can terminate 1 link on each router & configure it for load balancing by coordination with provider, It can done by using BGP or OSPF.In this scenario your both wan links get utilized. but in failure (crash) of one router only one wan link will be active.

Otherwise

Terminate these link on a switch & then connect both router to switch. This will solve your basic need of router failover at the time of failure.

There are many other devices which are available in industry like link load balancers from many vendors. check them also...

Regards,

Uttam

Hi,

and what about the VoIP traffic? Because some times one link es better than the other one (delay, jitter). Some times it's a headache when the incomming voice comes from one link and the outgoing for the other one. How can I resolve this issue too?

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

What type of routers are they and what IOS?

If it supports it you can run HSRP on your LAN facing interfaces.

If not you can just maybe put in a floating route on your routers to point to the other... sort of a poor mans High availability.

One router is a 3825 and the other one is 3660. Can you describe that floating route that you mantioned?

You should run a routing protocol for this.

Are you the end-user ? Do you have a cisco constant to help you run the network ?

I'm an end user.

Try to locate a reputable consultant to work with you, you can try yourself but try and error is not the best way to achieve professional results.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.x.x.x

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.x.x.x 254 <--- This is the other routers IP address with a higher metric.

I agree with the others you should get a CCNA at the least in there to take care of this for you. This is for sure not the best way to float your boat!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card