cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN link and TDM protocol

IgorHamzic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I have a question regarding a WAN link. A telco has connected two of our firm's locations over a WAN link. They put a Nokia modem and I connected it to my serial interface. But when the question of encapsulation came up the said there is no encapsulation and that the connection is achieved with a classic TDM protocol over unmanageable network from point A to point B. I'm a bit fuzzy on this and in a bit of a dilemma. Does this mean I only configure IP addresses on both side, configure routing and that's that or do I have to do something more?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Then just configure proper addressing and routing and you will be fine.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, they are right, there is no encapsulation in itself on a serial circuit.

The protocol to use, you decide it, usually the default HDLC is fine.

Note if you never dealt with routers before, suggest you hire a consultant for help, because there are many things that can cause problems and frustration.

Thanks for the fast reply. It's just that I don't have much experience with serial links. I'll study it in more detail though and configure all the necessary things for the link to function(IP addresses, routing, etc.).

Then just configure proper addressing and routing and you will be fine.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: