i have a one 2811 router with 2 nos of HWIC-1FE card,

and also i have two mpls connection

MPLS 1:

172.16.2.2/30

172.16.2.1 gateway

MPLS 2:

172.16.4.2/30

172.16.4.1 gateway

how can i configure it with mpls load balancing ?

anybody can help ?

Thanks

Debabrata

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Debabrata

Since you have given us only very general information about your network we can provide only very general answers. If we knew more detail about your network we might be able to supply better and more detailed answers.

Do both of the MPLS provide access to the same destinations? If so then load balancing should be possible.

If so do you run a dynamic routing protocol over both MPLS? If so then load balancing should occur.

If there is not dynamic routing protocol then you should be able to configure static routes and achieve load balancing.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The destination is same and only static routing will be configured.

can you tell me the procedure ?

Thanks

Debabrata

Debabrata

If the destination can be reached through both of the MPLS then the configuration might look something like this

ip route 0.0.0.0  0.0.0.0  172.16.2.1

ip route 0.0.0.0  0.0.0.0  172.16.4.1

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ip-cef enable or disable ?

ip route cache per interface enable or disable ?

Thanks

Debabrata

Debabrata

ip cef enabled is better.

I do not understand your question about route cache per interface. route cache should be enabled on every interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

two default route or two routes with same destination not configurable in same router..

so what can i do?

Thanks

Debabrata

Debabrata

I do not understand your question. Are you saying that when you try to configure two routes for the same destination but with different next hop addresses that you get some error? If so please post the commands that you are entering and the error message that you get.

In general the 2811 certainly does support configuring multiple routes for the same destination. If you are getting an error then there is some flaw in the commands that you are using.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard

router not saying any error in configuration, but its not working.

see the basic configuration:

Router A

interface fas 0/0

description ** connection for lan**

ip address 10.2.10.254 255.255.255.0

interface fas 0/1

description ** connection to sify mpls**

ip address 192.168.156.10 255.255.255.252

interface fas 0/3/0

description ** connection to tata mpls**

ip address 10.244.28.2 255.255.255.252

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.156.9

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.244.28.1

Router B

interface fas 0/0

description ** connection to lan **

ip address 10.1.10.254 255.255.255.0

interface fas 0/1

description ** connection to sify mpls**

ip address 192.168.145.10 255.255.255.252

interface fas 0/1/0

description ** connection to tata mpls**

ip address 10.1.156.86 255.255.255.252

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.145.9

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.156.85

after this configuration every connection is going down.

Thanks

Debabrata

Debabrata

I do not see any obvious problems in the part of the configuration that you posted. So we need to find out some more to figure out what is the problem. Here are some questions that may help us understand the situation and find the problem:

- have router A and route B ever been able to communicate with each other?

- are we sure that the MPLS providers have correct routing in place for the lan subnets at each site?

- if you took out one of the static default routes and left the other does it work any better?

- if you configure a static route for the specific subnet at the other site (in addition to or instead of the static default route) does it work any better?

- where (what address) are you testing from?

- what does traceroute show as the path that is taken to get to the other side subnet?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

- have router A and route B ever been able to communicate with each other?

yes only when one link is connected.

- are we sure that the MPLS providers have correct routing in place for the lan subnets at each site?

yes, because both link are communicate in individualy, not active/active.

- if you took out one of the static default routes and left the other does it work any better?

no. when i will connect sify link i have to assigne the sify route, for others link also same.

- if you configure a static route for the specific subnet at the other site (in addition to or instead of the static default route) does it work any better?

don't have any other netwrok.

- where (what address) are you testing from?

from router A to B

- what does traceroute show as the path that is taken to get to the other side subnet?

its pinging, but two links are not working same times.

Thanks

Debabrata

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card