Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN performance

cisconoval
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Please tell me what is the use of the value txload & rxload on WAN interface. How it will affect the WAN performance if its like 205/225?

Our WAN connectivity team saying that bandwidth utilsation is normal but the load is high. I am confused on this. Please clarify me how to troubleshoot the WAN perfomance issue with txload and rxload value.

Thanks in Advance

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Suppose your circuit is 1.5 mbps. On a constant basis, you transmit and receive about 1.2 mbps. The show interface will show txload/rxload 205/225 or thereabout, that is, about 80% of the maximum (255, or 100%). That means the circuit has effectively an high load.

Now, look at the show interface and check for any drops. If there are many, compared to the number of transmitted packets, it's time to either upgrade the circuit, or implement some utilization policy.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

here in my router the interface bandwidth is configured as 9k (the pipe sizei is 2mb). will it be the reason the rxload / txload showing as high utilisation.

Please help me to rid off from this.

it is bit urgent.

thanks in advance.

please someone clarify me on this.

Hi

I feel you are referring to the tunnnel interface bandwidth which is by default 9K.

You need to manually change the same with respect to your physical pipe bandwidth through which its configured.

regds

Yes, is it mandatory to set the actual bandwidth. If not will the rxload & txload will be shown as high utilized?

the sh int t1 output is

sh int t1

Tunnel1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Tunnel

Internet address is x.x.x.x/30

MTU 1514 bytes, BW 9 Kbit , DLY 500000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 133/255, rxload 255/255

Hi

Try keyin in bandwidth 2048 under the tunnel interface and check for the utilisation.

Parallely you can check out the utilisation on your main physical interface too..

regds

Friend,

The bandwidth value under the interface configuration reflects on the SH INT commands and overrides the default bandwidth an interface takes.

So if you want to get true utilization of the links, then you should have the correct bandwidth configured under the interface.

There are some cases in which it is deliberately configured less (eg . to reduce eigrp traffic)

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: