cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN redundancy

bravokareem
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 1811 wired router which i would like to configure WAN redundancy. But i do not have the IOS that has that capability. Where should i search and what should i search for. My ios version is 12.4(2)t. Should i be looking for ios with BGP as the routing protocol to make is possible?

2 Replies 2

steveo123
Level 1
Level 1

12.4 is the latest version, you need to search for IOS release that has advanced IP services that support BGP for your hardware. This can be done at cisco site. However as for your redundancy you may not even need to run BGP for that. BGP is generally useful for multi homed connections to ISP's or if you are establishing peering with ISP/NSP.

Depending on your how your WAN sites are interconnected, what type of circuit is the ISP delivering the WAN interconnects etc etc... depending on all those you can run OSPF EIGRP for next-hop redundancy....

you dont need to use bgp for wan redundancy.

as steveo said you might need to change the fetature set of the ios and 12.4 is the latest ios by cisco.

as per the router i would suggest to have ppp multilink.

Regards,

pravin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: