cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wan routing with vlns

nolan.dorsett
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help me with this. What i have is 4 cisco 3550 connected together and each 3550 has a dumb switch and a few pc's connected to it. I need to know how to properly setup vlans and trunking, please send configurations step by step from the 3550 down to the pcs. I really need some help? a diagram is attached. Use it as a guide line be as detailed as possible

21 Replies 21

jheckart
Level 3
Level 3

What are you trying to setup here? What vlan's do you need at each site, or for example, at only one site?

You'll get more help with some more detailed objective's. For the time being, this should help with the 3550's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_book09186a00802c4819.html

You can put whatever vlans you want at each site just use the diagram and ip addresses as a guideline

What do you need though? Are you looking for 5 random vlan's per site, or what?

Let me explain all i need is to perform routing between each router and to be able to ping pcs accross each company. How ever you set it up is fine i just need it to follow as an example. Look at the diagram whatever should be trunked tell me just add enough vlans for pcs and routers to communicate properly thats it.

Thank you

The following assumes that you'll create one VLAN for your users, and use a dot1q trunk to connect the switch to the router.

Add/configure VLAN

Set vtp mode to transparent (vtp mode transparent)

Add VLAN (vlan 2)

Name VLAN (name VLAN2)

User Ports - Put users in vlan 2

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 2

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

no shutdown

Trunk Ports - Connect to other switches, or router trunk port

interface FastEthernet0/24

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

no shutdown

Management Interface

interface vlan 2

ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

Now, on the Router (assuming Fa0/1 will connect to switchport Fa0/24)

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

no shutdown

interface FastEthernet0/1.2

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation dot1q 2

no shutdown

When you need to add more VLAN's to an office, you can just add the VLAN to the 3550, and continue adding sub-interface's to Fa0/1 on the router. You'll also need to be able to route this 192.168.2.0 network, so that each router knows how to get to it. Post back if you need help with the routing.

Thanks on the router port why didnt you enable the port as trunk i noticed you just created a sub interface added the ip address and the encapsulation. Also could you do an example from router to router now and also even though the 3550 is a layer three switch with about 10 interfaces do you still need sub interfaces what are the purpose of these.

Show me an example linking router to router using a vlan and ip addresses

1 - On the router port, you do not specify the port as a trunk. You only tell the router to perform dot1q encapsulation, and which sub-interface tags the traffic. This is sometimes referred to as router on a stick.

2 - For the routing portion, you could use either static routes, or a routing protocol. I would recommend a protocol, and if all routers are cisco, eigrp.

An example of one router would be GBAC.

router eigrp 1

network 172.16.60.0 0.0.0.3

network 172.16.40.0 0.0.0.3

network 10.200.64.0 0.0.0.3

With EIGRP, the network commands enable the eigrp process to advertise interfaces that are a part of the network and wildcard address specified. As an example, network 172.16.40.0 0.0.0.3 causes the interface connecting to FCP to talk EIGRP. If the 172.16.40.0 interface at FCP is also talking EIGRP, the two routers will neighbor up, and begin exchanging route updates.

If at each site, you are supposed to have a default gw of the orange address, you would also use a static route.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.200.32.10

3 - In this example, you are only using vlan's on the 3550's, which are only layer2. You do not use subinterfaces on a switch, if that's what you are asking. Instead, you would use SVI's or switched virtual interfaces. If you were to add the ip routing command, you could do a 'show ip route' on the 3550 and see your vlan2 interface show up as a connected network. If you are using an enhanced image on the 3550 you can also do full routing of these SVI's using eigrp or some other protocol. With the standard image on the 3550's I believe that with eigrp, you can only use it as a stub.

Could you do a configuration from router to router using static routes you dont have to do routing tables just show port configurations, vlans, witch port belongs to which vlan wether they are trunked or not encapsulation etc. Be detailed just like the router to switch configuration you sent me that was very good.

Is this for a school project or something?

YEs it is its worth 50% of my colledge grade please show me how to route statically using vlans from router to router details please trunking encapsulation everything

Static routing is pretty simple.

You'll just need to be sure that every router has a static route to every subnet within the overall network.

The syntax is basic:

ip route

I know how to do static routes show me how to do it with Vlans/InterVlan Routing i need an example with details us my drawing show me which ports should be trunks, which should be tagged, which should have ip addresses, Which ports should be in the same vlan etc. Lay it out for me my brother please.

Thank you man

The InterVLAN routing changes nothing with static routes.

The one piece that you need to understand is that since all of the VLAN's will be directly connected to the router, you will see the routes as "connected", and you won't need the static routes. So, InterVLAN routing within a specific site does not require static routes since they are all directly connected to the router.

Another point to understand is that VLAN's in this case, are contained within each site. You could, for example have a VLAN2 at each site, and they would all be different. A VLAN is not extended beyond a routed or Layer3 boundary.

For a sample scenario:

GBAC

VLAN 2: 192.168.2.0/24

GBAC-Router-Fa0/1 - 10.200.32.10/?

GBAC-Router-Fa0/0 - no ip addr

GBAC-Router-Fa0/0.2 - 192.168.2.1/24 (VL2)

GBAC-Router-Fa0/0.3 - 192.168.3.1/24 (VL3)

GBAC-Router-Serial0/0 - 172.16.40.2/30

GBAC-Router-Serial0/1 - 172.16.60.2/30

GBAC-Router-Table

ip route 10.200.64.0 255.255.255.252 172.16.40.1

ip route 129.200.60.0 255.255.255.252 172.16.40.1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.200.32.10

This alone would install a default route, and the two other routes. By default, since you have two directly connected sub-interfaces for the VLAN's you'll have routes listed for those subnets.

For example, from FCP, to get to the subnets 192.168.3.0, and 192.168.2.0 in GBAC, you would need the following at FCP:

ip route 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.40.2

ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.40.2

One problem that you have in your design is that your orange gateway's are not in the network listed in the route table. In GBAC, 10.200.32.10 is not part of the subnet 10.200.32.0 255.255.255.252 listed in the other routers.

You should be able to fill in the rest of the blanks for this plan.

Thats solid i understand that part its just that when i create the subinterfaces at gbac and the sub interfaces at fcp and put those on the same subnet how do i trunk them. Do i trunk them and use tagging on both ends or do i trunk one end and tag the next end. Talking about the link between fcp and gbac. Just give an example of how i would tag and trunk and that will be it man and thanks alot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: