Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN routing

Hi there,

I am having some problem in configuring my WAN link.

I have 2 different networks connected by a serial link between two routers

I have an application running on both networks which communicates through multicasting.

I want to restrain this multicast communication so that it doesnot affect any other networks that i have connection to.

Is this configuration possible, if yes then how.

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: WAN routing

Hello Mansoor,

how are the networks you do not want to participate in the multicast connected to your routers ? If you do not want directly connected networks to participate in multicast, you would simply not configure ´ip pim XXX-mode´ on the respective interfaces. Can you maybe make a schematic drawings on how the networks you are referring to are interconnected ?

Regards,

GP

I am sorry I think I didn't explain it well in my last message. The actual issue is this, My application, both Client and Server, is communicating on one Multicast Address. Now I have two different networks with different IP Network Numbers i.e 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/29 and they are connected through Routers.

Now with different network numbers the applications are not working across the Routers.If i configure the same network numbers with different subnet masks on both sides than they communicate with each other but in original scenario where network numbers are different on both sides they donot communicate with each other. "ip pim dense-mode" is necessary to configure for multicast communication to work.

Regards

Mansoor

VIP Purple

Hello Mansoor,

I think you need to define multicast helper maps in order to use sparse mode. The configuration would look something like this:

Router1

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

ip directed-broadcast

!

interface Serial0

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

ip multicast helper-map 224.32.32.32 192.168.2.255

!

ip forward-protocol udp

Router2

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

ip directed-broadcast

!

interface Serial0

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

ip multicast helper-map 224.32.32.32 192.168.1.255

!

ip forward-protocol udp

I am not sure if that is the complete config, but that is what I can think of off the top of my head. Can you try this and see if you get it to work ? If not let me know...

Regards,

GP

Greetings

I have tried said configuration but it didn't work. Now I have another issue. My Network Layout is attached herewith. The scenario is as follows:

The application that is running on both the remote sites communicates with a multicast response.

At the start, the application logs into the database and displayes the required file information for the user. the file itself is stored on a different machine. If the user wants detail information about the file, or wants to access that file his request is directed towards the storage machine. The machine responds with a multicast ip address with the response for that user, the application running on the remote site user's PC picks the required packet that contains the requiredinformation for that user and display's it.

The problem I am facing is that sometimes the remote user is unable to access the storage machine. it can access the database and display's the file information, but when requested for detail information, is display's an error saying that storage system is unreachable. although ping to the storage machine goes through. somehow it is unable to get the multicast response from the machine.

another issue is that if one remote site acceses the storage machine the other remote network is unable to access it.

although in the central site the storage can be easily acccessed simultaniously.

The sample configuration i m using on routers is as follows:

interface Multilink2

ip address 192.168.11.6 255.255.255.252

ip pim dense-mode

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 2

Now any advice or idea in this regard

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content