Views
Helpful
Replies

Wanted to configure MPLS Filover.

jigarshah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wanted to configure Auto MPLS fail over . Here I am attaching  Network Diagram . I have configured static route .

Regards,

Jigar Shah

Hi , Akash

I have to 2 MPLS service provider terminated on one router at my central site , remote has also two MPLS provider, providers  has ask us to configure static route to connect to  other site let’s assume   at remote site one MPLS link goes down of my primary MPLS provider now I wanted to configure MPLS auto failover for this scenario . My most of the traffic is coming from remote site to central site .

We have L3 VPN Any to Any.

7 Replies 7

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jigar,

Would like to help you on this but question is not very clear. What i understand you want to configure static routes on Rtr-A and rtr-B in such a way that if there will be any connectivity issue with MPLS provider1 , traffic should get switched to MPLS provider2.

Please confirm you have taken L3vpn or L2VPN service. If it is L2VPN service i think VC link will go down, and other static with higher AD will get installed into routing table. You can also use route tracking feature.

-Akash

Hi , Akash

I have to 2 MPLS service provider terminated on one router at my central site , remote has also two MPLS provider, providers  has ask us to configure static route to connect to  other site let’s assume   at remote site one MPLS link goes down of my primary MPLS provider now I wanted to configure MPLS auto failover for this scenario . My most of the traffic is coming from remote site to central site . I have Multiple sites for reference i have shown two locations.

We have L3 VPN Any to Any.

Hi,

I agree to Milan on this, In this case static route will not help. Better to run some routing protocol with MPLS provider. Till the time other side link is up, MPLS provider will provide you route which you can prefer, as soon as remote site link will go down with ISP-1 you will stop receiving routes and then you automatically prefer ISP-2

-Akash

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

how many sites are connected this way?

If more than 3, you will get crazy with static routing and tracking soon, I'm afraid.

Wouldn't it be easier to involve some routing protocol, BGP ideally?

You could easily advertise the site prefixes to both providers from each site.

And you would simply configure your routers to prefer the prefixes received from the primary provider.

So as long as the primary connection would be OK on the site, it would communicate over it (the site would prefer prefixes received from the primary provider and other sites would also receive this site's prefixes via the primary provider).

In a case of the primary line failure on the site, it would stop advertising its prefixes to the primary provider and also would not receive any prefixes from it. So it would communicate over the secondary provider to all other sites.

Best regards,

Milan

HI,

I have more then three sites , now it is very tough to manage routing so what will be the ideal solution do i need to involve provider also to configure BGP at their end so that i can also  configure i my end am i right?

and what will be the ideal configuration in my case.

Regards,

Jigar Shah 

Hi,

sure you would need both you providers to start BGP peering with your CE routers.

To agree the AS numbers to use, the steps how to migrate, etc.

So a project which would require you to understand BGP basics at least.

Best regards,

Milan

Hi,

Thanks for the reply i will do that . If you have any link related to my solution then give the link.

Regards,

Jigar Shah

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card