cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Warning (QoS): MLS QoS is disabled

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to apply rate limiting onto a gigE interface. When I apply the service-policy command, I get the following message below.

What does the message mean and if I enable it on a production router will it suddenly drop packets affect user traffic?

Thanks in advance.

rtr(config)#inter g8/4
rtr(config-if)#service-policy input 311mbps

Warning (QoS): MLS QoS is disabled, marking/policing will be done after
enabling MLS QoS globally

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

the warning simply means that your configuration will not be effective (no marking / policing will be done) until you enable MLS at global level.

Caution:

if you enable MLS with

mls qos

the only risk is  that by default all ports are untrusted and the risk is that all traffic is remarked to DSCP 0

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/qos.html

multilayer switches use the concept of trusted / untrusted ports

so you need to decide what ports you want to trust and to configure them accordingly

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

the warning simply means that your configuration will not be effective (no marking / policing will be done) until you enable MLS at global level.

Caution:

if you enable MLS with

mls qos

the only risk is  that by default all ports are untrusted and the risk is that all traffic is remarked to DSCP 0

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/qos.html

multilayer switches use the concept of trusted / untrusted ports

so you need to decide what ports you want to trust and to configure them accordingly

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card