Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Warning (QoS): MLS QoS is disabled

I'm trying to apply rate limiting onto a gigE interface. When I apply the service-policy command, I get the following message below.

What does the message mean and if I enable it on a production router will it suddenly drop packets affect user traffic?

Thanks in advance.

rtr(config)#inter g8/4
rtr(config-if)#service-policy input 311mbps

Warning (QoS): MLS QoS is disabled, marking/policing will be done after
enabling MLS QoS globally

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Warning (QoS): MLS QoS is disabled

Hello David,

the warning simply means that your configuration will not be effective (no marking / policing will be done) until you enable MLS at global level.

Caution:

if you enable MLS with

mls qos

the only risk is  that by default all ports are untrusted and the risk is that all traffic is remarked to DSCP 0

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/qos.html

multilayer switches use the concept of trusted / untrusted ports

so you need to decide what ports you want to trust and to configure them accordingly

Hope to help

Giuseppe

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Warning (QoS): MLS QoS is disabled

Hello David,

the warning simply means that your configuration will not be effective (no marking / policing will be done) until you enable MLS at global level.

Caution:

if you enable MLS with

mls qos

the only risk is  that by default all ports are untrusted and the risk is that all traffic is remarked to DSCP 0

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/qos.html

multilayer switches use the concept of trusted / untrusted ports

so you need to decide what ports you want to trust and to configure them accordingly

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content