cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Web Hosting WAN egde

texanmutt
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering how to connect your ISPs into a large web hosting/colocation datacenter. I have 3 topolglies attached.

Which one is closer to the way it should be done?

Should I run BGP only on the edge routes or in the core ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, for example.

- I can run BGP in edge and core devices

- I can run BGP in edge, and run OSPF between edge and core devices to offload BGP from core devices

- I can run BGP in edge, GLBP between edge and core devices to offload BGP from core devices

- I can also run MPLS between edge and core devices

- Edge devices is fully meshed, I don't have to worry about split-BGP

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

With the MESH, you will have to run BGP (iBGP) in the core devices - assuming you have the resources in core devices (minimum 512MB DRAM, depends on your core device hardware and services configured).

With the EDGE, you can run BGP in the edge devices and have a choice to run other IGP between edge and core devices if core devices doesn't have the resources to run BGP (iBGP).

CORE is prone to split-BGP.

Regards,

Dandy

Thanks for the reply. So what would be the "best practices" way or the way that most web hosting/colocation companies connect the WAN to the core. Would it be MESH or EDGE ?

I prefer the edge as its flexible.

What would be your definition of more flexible that the egde design offers? Thanks for the quick replies.

Well, for example.

- I can run BGP in edge and core devices

- I can run BGP in edge, and run OSPF between edge and core devices to offload BGP from core devices

- I can run BGP in edge, GLBP between edge and core devices to offload BGP from core devices

- I can also run MPLS between edge and core devices

- Edge devices is fully meshed, I don't have to worry about split-BGP

Thanks !

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Bgp should be between edges.

The core routers will be running IGP with the edges, and will have redundant links to the edges for redundancy.

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: