Views
Helpful
Replies

what is SPA , SIP in cisco 7600

Arjun Dabol
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts,

I am very new to cisco stuff, Can you please help me understanding what is use of haiving SPA and SIP in router hardware ? what if we dont have them in router ?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

SIP cards (as well as ES/ES+, Flexwan, OSM etc) are the so called WAN cards which are expressely designed for the SP segments.

They are cards which give extra features/capability which PFC/DFC hardware are not able to provide with the same degree of flexibility.

I.e. They have more granular QoS capabilities or they allow enhanced AToM configuration etc.

In particular the SIP contains a forwarding enginer but no Port Adapter (SPA), in a sense they are kind of container for SPAs which come in different flavors (OC3 as opposed as Ethernet and so on).

Dataplane-wise they take forwarding decisions independently.

If you buy a SIP you need to get one ore more SPAs depending on your needs and SIP capabilities.

Check the data-sheets for more info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

No harm if you don't have them in your router as you are not forced to have them. They are optional for many scenarios but if you need specific services or features you might want to buy them and add them in your 7600 chassis.

Hope this clarifies.

please rate and close the thread if helpful.

Riccardo

View solution in original post

1. SPA is part of SIP

2. I think it is possible but I don't know how, this is not an area I am expert in.

You should close this thread and open a new one on that if you look for help in the CSC.

Riccardo

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

SIP cards (as well as ES/ES+, Flexwan, OSM etc) are the so called WAN cards which are expressely designed for the SP segments.

They are cards which give extra features/capability which PFC/DFC hardware are not able to provide with the same degree of flexibility.

I.e. They have more granular QoS capabilities or they allow enhanced AToM configuration etc.

In particular the SIP contains a forwarding enginer but no Port Adapter (SPA), in a sense they are kind of container for SPAs which come in different flavors (OC3 as opposed as Ethernet and so on).

Dataplane-wise they take forwarding decisions independently.

If you buy a SIP you need to get one ore more SPAs depending on your needs and SIP capabilities.

Check the data-sheets for more info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

No harm if you don't have them in your router as you are not forced to have them. They are optional for many scenarios but if you need specific services or features you might want to buy them and add them in your 7600 chassis.

Hope this clarifies.

please rate and close the thread if helpful.

Riccardo

Thanks, its clear now but I have 2 small doubts -

1. SPA is aprt of SIP or SIP is part of SPA ?

2.If I have SIP-200 and I need to configure PPP on SIP-200 , is it something possible ? If Yes how I can do that in IOS ?

1. SPA is part of SIP

2. I think it is possible but I don't know how, this is not an area I am expert in.

You should close this thread and open a new one on that if you look for help in the CSC.

Riccardo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco