cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the recommended router for 5,000+ users

hippieboy9
Level 1
Level 1

I need to find out what router is best for a site with over 5,000 users and growing.  Most of them are internet and e-mail users as well as using VoIP. I want a router with enough performance so that all of these users can be accomidated during peak usage.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is your WAN bandwidth?

1GB

Couple of questions along leos thinking...

1. What are you using now to terminate the 1 GB link?

2. Do you have any qantitative measure over time of utilization ?

The current link is actually 400MB but being upgraded to 1GB next week.  Currently it is using a 2821 router.  There are complaints of slowness and problems.  With the upgrade I am taking the opportunity to get a router with more capacity.

The current link is actually 400MB but being upgraded to 1GB next week.  Currently it is using a 2821 router.  There are complaints of slowness and problems.

2821 CANNOT support a 400 Mbps link.

For a 1 Gbps link, you're looking at an ASR 1002 (minimum) with an ESP5 (minimum).

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

For gig, I agree with Leo on an ASR with ESP5, although a 7200 with NPE-G2 or 7201 should be adequate.

Depending on your feature needs a L3 switch, especially a MetroE variant, might do for you too.

My recommendation is that instead of having 1 GB link from one ISP, you should go for 500 MB each from two different service provider.

you can utilize that two different link for your traffic shaping.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco