Views
Helpful
Replies

what is the Technically different between Juniper and Cisco routers

mounir.mohamed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I didn't configure or working with Juniper routers so please I need to know what is the different (Technically) between Juniper and Cisco routers

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

H/w architecture, OS, Software features available etc. Juniper is supposedly leading in the Core routing market, while Cisco is at the top for the rest of the router market.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I do not know on what basis you are saying that Juniper leads the core routing market. According to the latest Dell'Oro Group quarterly report, Cisco is leading the core routing market with 56% followed by Juniper at 36%.

Just wanted to set the record straight,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Dear hritter,

I believe that Cisco Systems is leader, but I want to know that the different between one Of Cisco routers for example C7206 VXR and the VS router from Juniper.

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

Hritter,

I agree, I didnt phrase my statement right. You are right the market shares are at 56 and 36 according to the Dell Oro report. (Latest Networkworld report shows about 55(Cisco) to 40(juniper). I apologize for the wrong statement made in my previous post.

Of particular importance is how much market share Juniper had in the past few years, versus where they are now. (0 -> 40)

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I know Its too late too reply but what I have learnt from my past experience I am mentioning below:

In Cisco switches the trunk ports accept all VLANs in the range of 1 to 4095 by default but in Juniper, trunk ports do not support any VLANs ,we have to make it support manually.

Unlike Cisco switches Juniper switches doesn’t support VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) or DTP (Dynamic Trunking Protocol). Juniper switches support GVRP (Generic Attribute Registration Protocol) though.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card