cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what simple ethernet router should I buy?

paulow1978
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have three private subnets at my company and I am utilizing a multihoned pc at the momemnt as a router. I would like to install a cisco router to replace it. In the past when I have used cheapo gear like netgear I have been unable to set the wan port to any thing in the private IP realm which has been a bit of a pain. Can anyone recommend me a cisco router that will do the job? I really don't need anything fancy just something that will perform IP routing. The wan port needs to be ethernet. I am happy with cisco IOS for configuration. I am looking to spend under 300 pounds,

thanks,

Paul

5 Replies 5

luthierone
Level 1
Level 1

I would say a cisco 3640 with 3 1FE-TX network modules.

A few questions...

Is the WAN interface connecting to the internet? Are you planning for this device to provide you a firewall?

While I agree with the above post as far as hardware goes. I might suggest that if either answer above is "yes" then you will want to buy the firewall feature set. This is just an enhanced software image for the router (costs a little more - but, those features can be difficult to implement without the software).

Also, the 3640 is a little old (I don't think you can buy one of those new). I would suggest you look at the Cisco 1811.

Hi there,

thanks for the reply,

the router will only be used internally and won't be internet facing. All I need is a cisco box with routing and two ethernet ports (one wan, one lan) or (one lan and one other lan if you see what I mean, I need to be able to set a different ip address on one lan Port to the other). I really don't need anything else i.e. a firewall, vpn etc Ideally it needs to be under 300 pounds new. I have seen the cisco 871 would that work?

thanks,

Paul

Thanks for the additional info, Paul. The Cisco 871 should do well for you as long as you don't burden the box too heavily. I think it would be a good replacement for a cheapo unit as you pointed out. The only thing that I saw looking at the 871 specs is that you are kind of limited in regards to routing protocols (RIP). But that may not be an issue if you aren't integrating existing routing protocols or plan to use static routes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: