cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What situations are the IP packets fragmented under?

guominquan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,everyong

I am reading ACL applied to IP packets fragmented.But I am bit confused to IP packets fragments. What situations are the IP packets fragmented under?Any help I shall be appreciated!

Regards!

Minquan

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Minquan

packets are usually fragmented when the MTU (maximum transmission unit) of the network segment is smaller than the actual packet size.

When this happens the router that connects the two network segments will fragment the IP packet before transmitting the packet on to it's destination. The packets will then continue to their destination before they are reassembled into the original packet.

HTH

In addition to Jon's reply whenever a router fragments the packet based on the interface MTU, it adds a pointer to the fragmented packet to let the far end know that this packet is a fragmented one and it should wait for the remaining portion of the packet and then re-assemble.

HTH,

-amit singh

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

guominquan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks,Friends!

These are very useful for me!

Regards!

Minquan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card