cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When, or will, 7206-VXR and 3845 IOS support BFD with EIGRP?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

The latest 12.4 IOS for the 7206-VXR and 3845 routers supports

BFD (bidirectional forwarding detection) but only with OSPF.

We'd like to use BFD in our environment, but we're an EIGRP shop with

no intention of switching to OSPF.

Any Cisco engineers here who could find out if the 7206-VXR and 3845 series

routers will ever support BFD with EIGRP?  Thanks for checking.

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What exactly makes you think BFD works with OSPF only ?

I went through configuration of BFD on both the 7206 and 3845 and the commands

took just fine.  Then I enabled BFD debugging and pulled one of the links I had configured

BFD on and I could see the BFD debug messages OK - however nothing changed as regards

to the EIGRP rerouting.  Then I went to Cisco's Feature Navigator here on CCO and

the truth became evident.  BFD and EIGRP support is only available on CAT-3750-Metro

switches, the ASR-1000 platform, and the ME-3400.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute_bfd/configuration/guide/irb_bfd_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

For Cisco IOS Release 12.4(4)T, the Cisco implementation of BFD supports only the following routing protocols: BGP, EIGRP, IS-IS, and OSPF.

It was that document that I used to configure BFD on the routers. But when it didn't work I read a little more carefully and found

from the same document, but further down:

BFD support is not available for all platforms and interfaces. To confirm BFD support for a specific platform or interface and obtain the most accurate platform and hardware restrictions, see the Cisco IOS software release notes for your software version.

Configuring BFD Support for Dynamic Routing Protocols

For Cisco IOS Releases 12.0(31)S and 12.4(4)T, you may configure BFD support for one or more of the following routing protocols: BGP, IS-IS, and OSPF.

That's when I went to the Feature Navigator, searched on BFD-EIGRP, pulled down the Platform tab and was presented with the image I copied to the Word document attached to this note.

So I'm still convinced that BFD and EIGRP are not supported in any of the IOS routers except the ASR-1000.

So I'm still back to my original question of when/if it will be supported.

Which exact IOS are you using ?

The 7206 is 12.4(24)T2

The 3845 is 12.4(15)T8

Attached is an image showing the Feature Navigator results for IOS platforms:

I still believe (of course I can be wrong) thast the feature is supposed to be supported - BFD w/ EIGRP w/ the IOS you are using.

I think you have to contact the TAC (RP escalation team, not first level) for an authoritative word.

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

I'll go ahead an open up a TAC case.  Thanks for your input and I'll report back what I find out.

I am curious, did you every open the TAC case? We also have the 3845 and use EIGRP and would like to use BFD.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card