cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When to use BGP address-family?

jwbensley
Level 1
Level 1

I commonly see BGP configured on a provider (P/PE) router like this (this is a real router snippet just anonymised);

router bgp 12345

neighbour 1.1.1.1 remote-as 12345     ! iBGP peer

address-family ipv4

address-family vpnv4

address-family ipv4 vrf Customer1

neighbour 10.0.0.1 remote-as 67890    ! eBGP peer

• I understand the CE peering defined under "address-family ipv4 vrf Customer1" because we are placing their routes into that VRF
  • I understand that "address-family vpnv4" is used to define provider iBGP peers to which other CE's are going to be attached, carrying this customer VRF
  • Finally, I understand that a provider router is an iBGP peer so it is defined directly under "router bgp 12345"

What is the need for "address-family ipv4" (without vrf) here, or ever?

What does it provies that "normal" "neighbour" definitions (those directly under "router bgp 12345") and "vpnv4 neighbour" definitions, don't provide?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The BGP, as you surely know, has a multi-protocol capability - in a single session, it is capable of carrying information about diverse routed protocols (IPv4 Unicast, IPv4 Multicast, IPv6 Unicast, IPv6 Multicast, VPNv4, CLNP), in BGP's parlance called "address families". With BGP being a true multiprotocol routing protocol, however, you need some means to tell BGP which "address families" should be exchanged with a particular neighbor. We are accustomed to the fact that if we define an IPv4 neighbor, we are planning to exchange IPv4 routes with that neighbor - but why should that actually be a rule? Why should we make hasty assumptions about the "address family" just because the address of the neighbor is from a particular family itself?

This is the point behind diverse "address-family" commands. Defining a neighbor under a particular "address family" means that we want to exchange routes from the particular "address family" with that neighbor. Not having a neighbor listed under a particular "address family" means that we are not planning to exchange information from that "address family" with that neighbor.

Now, the "address-family ipv4" declares neighbors with whom we want to exchange normal "IPv4 unicast" routes. This may be surprising because to exchange IPv4 routes with a neighbor, it is sufficient to simply define that neighbor by its address. The fact is that for backward compatibility with older BGP versions that have not been multiprotocol-capable, the BGP implicitly assigns all defined neighbors to an invisible "address-family ipv4" section. In other words, as soon as you define a neighbor, it is automatically being added to an invisible "address-family ipv4" section so that you don't have to do it manually.

You can change it, however. First of all, if you enter the BGP configuration and issue the command "bgp upgrade-cli" you will find out that the BGP configuration has been fully converted to the address family style of configuration. Outside any "address-family" stanzas, only the basic neighbor settings are configured like their addresses, AS numbers, update sources. However, all remaining "per-address-family" commands will be automatically moved into "address-family" stanzas. The behavior or operations of BGP do not change with this new style of configuration, only the configuration format is changed.

Furthermore, if you enter the "no bgp default ipv4-unicast" command in the BGP configuration, you will prevent BGP from automatically assigning each newly defined neighbor into "address-family ipv4" section. You will then be required to add every defined neighbor to each intended address family automatically - it won't be done automatically for you anymore.

So to wrap it up - the "address-family ipv4" is in fact an omnipresent section in the BGP configuration but for backward compatibility purposes, it is not visible by default. However, the configuration can be converted to a "strict per-address-family" configuration, and in fact, I would recommend that for all new deployments.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The BGP, as you surely know, has a multi-protocol capability - in a single session, it is capable of carrying information about diverse routed protocols (IPv4 Unicast, IPv4 Multicast, IPv6 Unicast, IPv6 Multicast, VPNv4, CLNP), in BGP's parlance called "address families". With BGP being a true multiprotocol routing protocol, however, you need some means to tell BGP which "address families" should be exchanged with a particular neighbor. We are accustomed to the fact that if we define an IPv4 neighbor, we are planning to exchange IPv4 routes with that neighbor - but why should that actually be a rule? Why should we make hasty assumptions about the "address family" just because the address of the neighbor is from a particular family itself?

This is the point behind diverse "address-family" commands. Defining a neighbor under a particular "address family" means that we want to exchange routes from the particular "address family" with that neighbor. Not having a neighbor listed under a particular "address family" means that we are not planning to exchange information from that "address family" with that neighbor.

Now, the "address-family ipv4" declares neighbors with whom we want to exchange normal "IPv4 unicast" routes. This may be surprising because to exchange IPv4 routes with a neighbor, it is sufficient to simply define that neighbor by its address. The fact is that for backward compatibility with older BGP versions that have not been multiprotocol-capable, the BGP implicitly assigns all defined neighbors to an invisible "address-family ipv4" section. In other words, as soon as you define a neighbor, it is automatically being added to an invisible "address-family ipv4" section so that you don't have to do it manually.

You can change it, however. First of all, if you enter the BGP configuration and issue the command "bgp upgrade-cli" you will find out that the BGP configuration has been fully converted to the address family style of configuration. Outside any "address-family" stanzas, only the basic neighbor settings are configured like their addresses, AS numbers, update sources. However, all remaining "per-address-family" commands will be automatically moved into "address-family" stanzas. The behavior or operations of BGP do not change with this new style of configuration, only the configuration format is changed.

Furthermore, if you enter the "no bgp default ipv4-unicast" command in the BGP configuration, you will prevent BGP from automatically assigning each newly defined neighbor into "address-family ipv4" section. You will then be required to add every defined neighbor to each intended address family automatically - it won't be done automatically for you anymore.

So to wrap it up - the "address-family ipv4" is in fact an omnipresent section in the BGP configuration but for backward compatibility purposes, it is not visible by default. However, the configuration can be converted to a "strict per-address-family" configuration, and in fact, I would recommend that for all new deployments.

Best regards,

Peter

What an absolutely brilaint answer! You have clearly explained exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you very much

I have to say this answer is excellent. It completely removed my confusion about BGP "address-family" configurations.

Very helpful.

Thanks

hi peter,

was searching on the net for this topic and your explanation is perfect.

it really helped me understand the concept.

Hi John,

Thank you... There is no better satisfaction than knowing I could be of help.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the explanation.

--

I would have one question please regarding the following config (taken from here

--

router bgp 60001
bgp log-neighbor-changes
neighbor 100.100.100.100 remote-as 7018
neighbor 100.100.100.100 local-as 22222
neighbor 150.100.12.2 remote-as 109
!
address-family ipv4
neighbor 100.100.100.100 activate
neighbor 150.100.12.2 activate
neighbor 150.100.12.2 route-map TASK out
no auto-summary
no synchronization
network 92.1.80.0 mask 255.255.255.0
network 92.1.81.0 mask 255.255.255.0
network 92.1.82.0 mask 255.255.255.0

--

Can you please clarify: is there a reason we don't put all the config under "address-family ipv4" then ?

Thank you.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Can you please clarify: is there a reason we don't put all the config under "address-family ipv4" then ?

This is because in BGP, there are essentially two different aspects of having a neighbor:

1. Who the neighbor is and how shall we talk to it
  2. What content shall be exchanged with this neighbor

Notice that the neighbor's identity (who the neighbor is), that is, its address, autonomous system, etc. - these are qualities that do not depend on the "address family" exchanged with the neighbor (the content). Therefore, after migrating to the "address-family" style of BGP configuration, the definition of neighbors, their ASNs, update-sources, etc. is still maintained in the global level of the BGP process config because for a neighbor, all these settings are the same for every "address-family" the neighbor is added to. Also keep in mind that for a single neighbor, only a single BGP session is established, no matter how many "address families" the neighbor belongs into.

Best regards,
Peter

Excellent explanation! Thank you very much Peter..

Kind regards,

Adrian

thanx Peter, that answer was pretty clear to solve my doubt too!

Hi,

You are welcome!

Best regards,
Peter

Greatly described. 

I have small query. 

What is the meaning of below command where only "address-family ipv4" command is configured but no neighbor is mentioned on PE router:

address-family ipv4
maximum-paths 2
exit-address-family

Thanks,

Pruthvi

Hi Pruthvi,

Such configuration has no impact on the current operation of the router. The router is basically told that if there ever are neighbors with whom plain "unicast IPv4" routes are exchanged, then the BGP is allowed to use up to two equal-cost paths. However, at the moment, there are no such neighbors, and so this configuration has no routes to apply to.

Best regards,
Peter

Very clear, thanks Peter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card