cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where I can find info for "bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax"

frank
Level 1
Level 1

Where can I find info for a hidden command "bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax".

Client is asking if we can use this command to load balance between two MPLS carriers but can't find any info from CCO.

11 Replies 11

Yes I've checked this page but can't find the "bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax" command that the client was asking for?

What exactly this command do?

Hi,

This will allow the router to load-share across multiple BGP paths even if the as-path is different.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks,

But what are the criterias I can use to control the load share? Is it at CE side or PE side?

Can you provide a link for detail?

Hi,

To load share over multiple eBGP routes, the routes must be equal-cost paths with identical BGP attributes (same Weight, Local-Pref, AS-Path, Origin and MED and different next-hop - Even the AS_PATH should match (entire attribute and not just length), and here comes the job of this command to alter the AS_PATH part.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

In this case if I setup "maximum-path" then it will do the same thing why do I want to use "bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax"?

Hi Frank,

No, you'll have to use the maximum-path to do load sharing any way, but when using this command the load sharing will accept multiple paths with different AS_PATH which is not the normal case.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

frank
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, Thanks.

Is there any document for this command?

I know this is really old, but what is the current status for this command? I can't find it in IOS documentation (but found one in NX-OS). On IOS 12.5, it's hidden (not shown with ?) but I can enter it without error. However it does not seem to do anything...

Hi,

Even though this is a hidden command, I know many  customers using it. Make sure you also configure "maximum-paths" for the  "bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax" to take effect.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card