Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Which current routers are the best for frame relay?

I am currently looking to purchase 4 data centre routers, and 28 smaller routers for our regional offices, and I was wondering if you could advise me on the most appropriate routers for our needs.

They are only required for data and Internet traffic between all of the sites (no voice).

The requirements for the routers are as follows (they shall need to handle);

Nine 2Mbit/s partial mesh frame relay PVC’s between 9 regional offices to one data centre (point to point)

Three 2 Mbit/s partial mesh frame relay PVC’s between 3 outlying data centres to one central office (point to point)

2 times growth allowance in the wan core between data centres.

Cost is not a factor, as this is in fact part of a university project, although at the moment I am looking for the best advice I can get regarding the purchase of equipment. As this project is a simulation of a true network design project, I am currently going through the motions as if this was actually a true project (and therefore using my initiative contacting you!) I really hope that you can assist me,

Many  (and huge) thanks in advance,

J.

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Which current routers are the best for frame relay?

Hi Jamie,

I believe the main restriction here is the number of E1s that you terminate on a single router (i.e. central site).

For example, with HWIC-4T1/E1 you may use 4 cards on a 3845 (16 E1s), see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/product_data_sheet0900aecd80710c77.html

For remote sites, any ISR router with an E1 interface will suit your needs.

Hope this helps

Marco

Views
Helpful
Replies