Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Which interface is added by OSPF cost?

Hi Sir,

I ask question of OSPF cost.

I want to know when add OSPF cost of interface.

When I configure 'ip ospf cost' on router's interface,

is OSPF cost added by incoming interface or outgoing interface?

Ryusuke.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Which interface is added by OSPF cost?

Hi Rick,

The OSPF cost is the outgoing cost for packets transmitted from this interface (used when executing the SPF tree by adding it to the cost of relevant path to the destination), do you mean with your statement that it is added to the cost of the incoming interface to calculate the whole path cost.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Ryusuke

The cost is added on the incoming interface.

HTH

Rick

Rick

Your answer is best.

Thank you.

Ryusuke

Hi Rick,

The OSPF cost is the outgoing cost for packets transmitted from this interface (used when executing the SPF tree by adding it to the cost of relevant path to the destination), do you mean with your statement that it is added to the cost of the incoming interface to calculate the whole path cost.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Ryusuke,

Why would you want to override the ospf cost on an interface? By default OSPF automatically calculates its matrics on interfaces participating in OSPF

based on the formula 100 Mbps devided by the interface total bandwidth.. a 64k link gets a metric of 1562, another example is a T1 1.544 gets a metric of 64 , 100 Megs link gets a metric of 1 and so on, the higher the bandwidth the lowest its cost and therefore prefered path and that matrics gets propagated through the OSPF domain . It is posible with the command you indicated to manipulate/override the default calculation on an interface, I have yet not seen a scenario where you would need to override the default behavior.

In the event you do need to change this

I would pay close attention which interfaces

participating in OSPF you need to change it,

remember that by chnaging the value to lower or higer it would inpact OSPF traffic desitions in chosing optimal path.

OSPF reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk480/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Q&A

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a0080094704.shtml

HTH, please rate if this helps

Jorge

Hi Jorge

Thank you.

I configure it carefully.

This scenario is route control on same bandwidth interface.

Because,

there is different reliability network of same bandwidth in Japan.

My customer's policy don't use low reliability network for normal use.

Low reliability network is used for redundancy.(for backup route)

Ryusuke

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content