Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Module for 7204VXR?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I need to pick components for a 7204VXR chassis. The description for my chassis states "with IP software".

questions:

1) Does the term "with IP software" means I do not need to order IOS image for this? Not clear which "IP software" image that means.

2) Which interfaces should I pick if I need to support 120Mbps (TDM, not ethernet)?

I see options to pick "I/O controllers", but I am not sure if such I/O controllers will give me ports to connect to TDM circuit.

Please help.

3 Replies 3

bernatellez
Level 1
Level 1

The IP software means that you will get the basic IOS, not advance features like MPLS. The most recent procesors for the 7200VXR are NPE-G1(GBIC) and NPE-G2(SFP) wich all ready have console, aux, and 3 GigabitEthernet port both of them support STM/1 Port Adapters.

But if I pick NPE-G1(GBIC), as you said it supports STM/1 Port Adapters;

Does it mean I still need to order other module, or just that is ready to let me connect the circuit there (let's say OC-3/SONET)?

From your e-mail it seems that is ready, but I just would like to confirm. Thanks.

Hello Marlon,

even with NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 you still need a port adapter module for SDH/Sonet STM 1.

built-in ports are GE only cannot act as SDH/SONET ports.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

To be noted both NPE-G1 and NPE-G2 have a built in I/O controller so you don't need to order it . It was needed with previous NPE models

if building a new system you are fine without the I/O controller that can have one or two lan ports built-in.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card