Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Which Module for 7204VXR?

Hi,

I need to pick components for a 7204VXR chassis. The description for my chassis states "with IP software".

questions:

1) Does the term "with IP software" means I do not need to order IOS image for this? Not clear which "IP software" image that means.

2) Which interfaces should I pick if I need to support 120Mbps (TDM, not ethernet)?

I see options to pick "I/O controllers", but I am not sure if such I/O controllers will give me ports to connect to TDM circuit.

Please help.

3 REPLIES

Re: Which Module for 7204VXR?

The IP software means that you will get the basic IOS, not advance features like MPLS. The most recent procesors for the 7200VXR are NPE-G1(GBIC) and NPE-G2(SFP) wich all ready have console, aux, and 3 GigabitEthernet port both of them support STM/1 Port Adapters.

But if I pick NPE-G1(GBIC), as you said it supports STM/1 Port Adapters;

Does it mean I still need to order other module, or just that is ready to let me connect the circuit there (let's say OC-3/SONET)?

From your e-mail it seems that is ready, but I just would like to confirm. Thanks.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Hello Marlon,

even with NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 you still need a port adapter module for SDH/Sonet STM 1.

built-in ports are GE only cannot act as SDH/SONET ports.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

To be noted both NPE-G1 and NPE-G2 have a built in I/O controller so you don't need to order it . It was needed with previous NPE models

if building a new system you are fine without the I/O controller that can have one or two lan ports built-in.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content