cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which router model for this IPsec link?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

From one router in MyCompnay, I need to provide (2) IPSec links (one tunnel going to China another going to Europe).

Can a 1841 router do the job or I need something else?

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marlon

The 1841 can certainly do the job for 2 IPSec links. I have done many 1841s running 2 IPSec (with GRE) tunnels and they work quite well. We order the 1841 bundle that includes the optional VPN accelerator. For only 2 tunnels I am not sure that you would need the accelerator (perhaps it depends a bit on what else you would ask the 1841 to do). Beyond the question of 1841 supporting the IPSec tunnels is the question of what kind of outbound links will you be using and are there any special interface requirements to consider as you choose the model of router.

I would think that you might even run 2 IPSec tunnels on something smaller than an 1841. I have run many implementations of dual IPSec tunnels on 1720 and 1721 routers. Though they are so old I would not recommend any new implementation to choose that hardware. I believe that you might even get one of the 800 series routers which could run 2 IPSec tunnels.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card