cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Router to choose?

fmacademyfl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  My company is comprised of 15 employees, with a network that spans several classrooms, which can represent a total of 100 computers which would be accessing the internet at once.  Up until now, we have not had to manage the bandwidth, as our office network has been on a T1 line, and our classrooms have each had their own DSL lines.  However, my company is now moving to consolidate our telecoms by condensing all of the connectivity in our facility into a single 25Mbps fiber line.  As such, I need to establish a method for controlling how much bandwidth each physical segment of the network consumes.  We already use VLANs (8 of them) to manage the connectivity for the various segments across our switches.  I know that I want to do policing rather than rate-limiting (less memory consumption), but I wanted to gather ideas on which model of router I should purchase to accomplish this  Would an 800 series router be enough for this (and if so, which one in particular) or should I go with an 1800-1900 series?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd go with a 1900. That way if you need to grow the WAN the 1900 will still be sufficient.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

An 890 can process 51 Mbps, but all platforms suffer performance degradation if even one acl is in place. Will you need to run firewall, ips, acls, nat, etc? All these impact performance. Looking at simple throughput is not the final answer. The services you intend to run have a significant impact on the platform you choose. Personally, I would consider the 1941 the bare minimum if you're going to run any of these services. More likely, a 2900 series is going to be your service enabled answer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card