cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Serial Cable type to choose between V.35,RS-232, RS-449,X.21,EIA-530 for WIC-2A/S?

adimaden001
Level 1
Level 1

I am starting to get confused between these different type of cable supported by WIC-2A/S. I already know that they come in male(DTE) and female(DCE) end. Just want to know whether they all are work with WIC-2A/S? If they do, why all these different cable type and not just one? Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Aditya,

They should all work with the WIC-2A/S as long as they have the Smart Serial connector. The reason they are so many types is that because in most cases, routers were not connected back-to-back with a complete serial cable (in that case, a single cable type would be sufficient). Instead, a router was most often connected via the serial cable to a modem. Because there were many types of modems and they had different connectors, this has led to the existence of many serial cable types - some with V.35 connector, some with X.21, RS-449, etc.

It should be noted that various connector types have different speed limits - this is thanks to the presence (or impresence) of various data and control lines, voltage levels etc. I can attest that both X.21 and V.35 will be able to work both on A/S (up to 128kbps) and T (up to 8Mbps) types of serial interfaces. The RS-232, RS-449 will most probably be slower - but they should definitely run fine with A/S interfaces.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you so much again Peter for enlightening me.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card