Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Which Serial Cable type to choose between V.35,RS-232, RS-449,X.21,EIA-530 for WIC-2A/S?

I am starting to get confused between these different type of cable supported by WIC-2A/S. I already know that they come in male(DTE) and female(DCE) end. Just want to know whether they all are work with WIC-2A/S? If they do, why all these different cable type and not just one? Thanks.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Which Serial Cable type to choose between V.35,RS-232, RS-449,X.

Hi Aditya,

They should all work with the WIC-2A/S as long as they have the Smart Serial connector. The reason they are so many types is that because in most cases, routers were not connected back-to-back with a complete serial cable (in that case, a single cable type would be sufficient). Instead, a router was most often connected via the serial cable to a modem. Because there were many types of modems and they had different connectors, this has led to the existence of many serial cable types - some with V.35 connector, some with X.21, RS-449, etc.

It should be noted that various connector types have different speed limits - this is thanks to the presence (or impresence) of various data and control lines, voltage levels etc. I can attest that both X.21 and V.35 will be able to work both on A/S (up to 128kbps) and T (up to 8Mbps) types of serial interfaces. The RS-232, RS-449 will most probably be slower - but they should definitely run fine with A/S interfaces.

Best regards,

Peter

Which Serial Cable type to choose between V.35,RS-232, RS-449,X.

Thank you so much again Peter for enlightening me.

Views
Helpful
Replies