cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why can't I reset the WCCP session to my edge WAE running 4.0.1.b.16?

a-murphy
Level 1
Level 1

Each time I duisable WCCP on the router and re-enable it I lose all WAAS optimisations. Is there something I am missing or a fix?

5 Replies 5

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

The following document describes how to perform a basic configuration of a Wide Area Application Services (WAAS) network that uses the Web Cache Communication Protocol (WCCP).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6870/prod_configuration_basics09186a00807698f0.html

adrian.chadd
Level 1
Level 1

Why are you disabling the WCCP on the router?

yes, if you drop WCCP configuration on the router the router/switch will simply delete the redirection rules and traffic will stop flowing to the web cache. This'll break all existing connections.

You should look at your WAAS manual and find a way to gracefully shut its WCCP connection down. The CCE's (and squid, soon, when I find time!) will support this. What it'll do is slowly tell the router to stop sending it traffic over the course of a few minutes. It'll simply redirect all new connections back at the router. Eventually it's sending all new connections back to the router and removing it from the WCCP group doesn't break any of them.

Thanks Adrian,

I have a global customer in POC prior to 137 site roll out. They are doing a series of tests and benchmarks against Riverbed. One of their tests was to fail the LAN router. This had disasterous effects as when it came back they WCCP no longer worked. They are running 3845s with advancedsecurity IOS 12.4(14). A reload of the WAAS engine fixed the issue but did not impress.

Hm, as in, the router rebooted but the device didn't re-establish WCCP?

If the router reboots then yes, it'll lose its WCCP redirection.

Rightio. Ive done a little further reading about WAAS and have a better idea of what you're talking about.

I'd turn on WCCP debugging on the 3845 (debug ip wccp events and debug ip wccp packets should do the trick) when the router has finished booting and watch what the WAAS device is sending. Alternatively, stuff a switch in the middle, turn on port monitoring/SPAN and use ethereal.

I can give you help interpreting the WCCPv2 negotiation if you're stuck. But, as I said before, the router won't have any interception stuff setup when it reboots and it'll wait until the WAAS device tells it what to redirect before it redirects anything. As per the wccp2 draft the WAAS box should be trying to re-establish WCCP every 10 seconds.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card