Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WIC-1ENET

Hi

I find myself in a strange situation I have a 1721 with the IOS 12.3(17a)

I have installed a WIC-1ENET on it.

As expected the router detects the WIC card.

And I connect the WIC-1ENET to the Cisco 677 ADSL router using a cross cable (I have tried even with a straight through).

I have tried three cards which where brought by me brand new two days back.

Two of them the LED's don’t even come up however when I issue the command shut & no shut in the sh int command it shows me e0 as up but line protocol down

The third card the lights come up however the state keep on fluctuating from up to down and forth.

I have tried different cables too just to ensure the cables are not bad.

However none of my exercise succeeded now my only question is that is this a h/w problem if yes then it might be unique occurrence with three cards bad.

10 REPLIES

Re: WIC-1ENET

It may be that the problem is with the 1721 instead.

Also, did you make certain that you got Cisco-made components and not counterfeit?

Regards,

Leo

Hi

on the same slot we have a serial WIC which is working perfectly , so idoubt it coudl be a Router problem

yes i have made the purchases from cisco dealer

hi

In addition to leo's comments have you tried to connect the WIC-ENET port directly to your workstation or laptop and checked the status ?

also have you tried connecting both 677 enet port and 1721 enet port thru a switch or hub using a straight cable ?

can you try these 2 steps and confirm the status here ?

regds

Hi Prem

i ahve already tried the above steps

I am afraid that buying from an authorized reseller is insufficient proof that the parts are genuine.

Therefore I would recommend that you minutely inspect the parts and their package.

The package says a lot about wheter a part is genuine or counterfeit. I had a counterfeit GBIC once, (my only experience so far) and it did not work.

It had no serial number and on the box was a text about export regulations. The last part should read: "certain countries", on this one it read: "cartain countries".

Recently Cisco is also putting seals on their packages that contain a logo and will probably be hard to copy. The absence of such a label would make me suspicious.

Regards,

Leo

Hi leo

i knew this was comming hence i got the three replaced and laos tried to find any such anomalies

the card looks perfectly ok to me as comming from cisco no spelling mistakes properly sealed box and cisco logos even on the board.

set het win1net speed to 10mbs & set the duplex has half,try this setting & let me know.

OK then, now that we have that behind us it is still a nasty problem. In this kind of situation there are always things that we do not test while we assume that they are not related. For most problems this is the most effective approach while our experience guides us into the right direction most of the times. I would suggest that you take the basic approach now and begin with eliminating everything that may have a relation with the problem:

-Connect a different device to the WIC

-Verify electrical grounding & cabling

-Use another router to test the WICs

-Test with another IOS version

There might even be more obvious options but it is hard to see through your eyes and I assume that you are perfectly capable of noticing them yourself.

Regards,

Leo

Hi Guys

Firts of all thanks to all of you i have tried all the above mentioned steps and finally what i have decided is to hand the cards to the supplier and haev asked them to test the cards with them befor egiving it to me this way atleast i woudl be rid of the testing and trying part :-))

Bronze

Hello,

just to make sure, and as mentioned in a previous post, the 677 has a 10BaseT/100BaseT Ethernet, half-duplex RJ-45 connector, so it likely won´t work with full duplex. I assume you have tried to set both sides to 10MB half duplex fixed ?

Also, check if the WIC-1ENET intersface supports the command ´media-type 10baset´.

Regards,

Nethelper

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content