Views
Helpful
Replies

WIC-4ESW being used as L3 routed port

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

Pros,

I need to add extra L3 ethernet port to the 1760 router.please tell me the above model WIC-4ESW-4-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch WIC is the correct selection for the 1760 router or we have to go for the

WIC-1ENET-One-port 10BASE-T Ethernet interface. Later one is 10Mbps not 100Mbps.

Please let me know asps.

swami

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HWIC-4ESW is a Layer 2 switch only. If you need a Layer 3 module, it'll have to be either a HWIC-1FE, HWIC-1GE-SFP or the NME-16ESW series.

Hi Swami,

WIC-4ESW is a layer 2 card. You can't assign IP Addresses directly on the physical interface. however SVIs can be uesd if you want to terminate a WAN link.

WIC-1ENET is a Layer 3 module. You can assign ip address on the physical interface. Hoever its a 10mbps interface. If you are looking for layer 3 interface and only one interface is required you can go wit this card.

Loe, Swami is having 1760 router which does not support HWIC modules. I guess you missed the router platform.

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card