cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIC cards for 2821 (MPLS implementation)

CHRIS KALETH
Level 5
Level 5

We are buying new Cisco 2821 routers for our MPLS implementation. The routers will be used only for routing between the MPLS cloud. I'm trying to determine which WIC cards I should use at each location.

US Locations (3MB circuits)

WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 or VWIC-2MFT-T1

What is the difference in functionality for each:

VWIC-2MFT-T1 & VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 (US MPLS)

1 Reply 1

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

You will need 2 wic-1dsu cards to run 3m where the vwic-2mft-t1 can run 2 on one card. With 2 cards you have some failure protection but it tends to be more expensive to buy 2 cards. The vwic card can also run fractional t1 which I don't think the 1dsu can

The difference between the vwic2 and vwic card is from the obvious that one can do both e1 and t1 and the other can only do t1. The more important part is that the vwic2 has 2 clocks. This may or may not be a issue but I have sites with vwic-2mft cards with 2 t1's that I have to set the clocking on 1 to line and the other to internal to stop clock slips on one of the lines. So far I have been lucky and been able to resolve my clocking issues with this method but I am worried I may someday get a site that the lines have different enough clocks that this trick won't fix it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card