cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wide Area Network

aafolabi_2
Level 1
Level 1

I want to setup a WAN network for my company. What type of router is good and reliable for WAN connectivity?

Pls. advice.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

bibiabarackal
Level 1
Level 1

first u tell what is your requirement i will give the solutions

Integrationg of data, voice and video streaming. To support 150 users in each location. Application to run varies... mostly graphics.

Hello Abiodun,

probably at least 10 Mbps of BW are needed.

I would look for a C3825 / C3845 and for a T3 service.

How far are the two locations ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

i have 4 sites including the head office.

From the head office, below are the distant of branch office from head office...

243.74 km

360 km

676.92 km

1042.45 km

Hello Abiodun,

if available I would go for ATM service or MPLS services that should be cheaper then leased lines

Pricing vary from zone to zone so you should verify with the providers what are their offers

I would think of a C3845 or C7204VXR for the central site because the remote sites are 3 not only one and you need space to grow.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks.. i will be working with your suggestion.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From your statement, initial question and later information you've provided, and inferring a possible lack of expertise(?), your project appears it might benefit from external consultation if you're unable to obtain the necessary expertise internally.

There's a bit more to setting up a WAN, especially one that meets the goals you set for it, then just selecting a suitable WAN router. For example, suitable for what? Data, voice, video streaming, and graphic applications (etc.) all might have unique requirements beyond just a user count.

For just the question "What type of router is good and reliable for WAN connectivity?", I've found Cisco's brand to generally both be "good" and "reliable" for WAN conectivity. Also often true with their L2 and L3 switches too. The latter, L3 switches, could also be of interest even for a WAN. (NB: Disclaimer: I don't generally sell any software/hardware, nor do I have now, or in the past, any special relationship with Cisco.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: