cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless connectivity for 1 km

umeshkarnik
Level 1
Level 1

can any one suggest how i can connect two location distance about 1 km and which of the cisco devices i can use to do so...

thanks

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

You have not provided enough information. Your question would be like going to an automotive forum and saying " My car doesn't work, what do I need to fix it?"

(while I am temped to leave it at that so you're left with the "What information do I need to provide" question hanging over your head ... here are a few of the things we need to know ...)

Is there line of sight? Real line-of-sight where you can stand where an antenna would be and see where the antenna would be at the other location.

How much clear space is there, assuming there is a line-of-sight. More than just a little peep space is required.

Imagine an American football with the pointed ends located at each antenna .. depending on the distance, whether there's a span of water in-between, and some other factors, the diameter of the body of the football will be wider or narrower, and within that body is the required space needed to operate the link effectively.

Once you've figured out whether there's line-of-sight, and enough line-of-sight, then you need to look at the weather, and decide what kind of reliability you require.

Then there's things like other systems that might interfere, security, cosmetics, power requirements, antenna requirements, and a large basket of other related questions.

It might be better for you to contact someone locally and have them do the site survey and equipment recommendation. The process can be complicated and (especially if not done well) expensive.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi,

As scott has suggested one option is to use a microwave link. Another option is to talk to a local provider about getting some fibre run.

Regards

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Scott's right. You need to provide us with more information.

If you have direct line-of-sight from the two site, try looking at the Wireless Acess Point/Bridge option.

Please note that you will need to use a medium-range directional dish antennae to get this right.

Here are the links for the antenna:

Cisco Aironet Antennas and Accessories Reference Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Cisco Aironet 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Antennas and Accessories

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card