Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless router only giving out one valid IP address, so frustrated

I had cable Internet installed over the weekend.  I tried to hook up my wireless router when the installer left.  Everything worked fine with my laptop.  My girlfriend got home and tried her laptop, but was pulling an APIPA address of 169.254.xxx.xxx.  So we restarted all the equipment and I put my computer down.  Her laptop connected to the Internet and we thought our problems were fixed until I grabbed my laptop.  Then it was pulling the private IP address.  So we shut down everything, and I connected wirelessly with my XBOX.  Connected just fine, but any other device that tries, APIPA.  Hooked up a Netgear 54G access point thinking it was the Linksys failing, same problem.  I've tried changing the configuration from Static to DHCP-the result is the same.

I called the "help-desk" for the cable company to ask if it was possible that I needed to request more IP addresses.  They said that it is likey that because of all my devices, there isn't enough bandwidth.  I tried to explain that it isn't an issue of bandwidth-I simply cannot get more than one valid IP address.  I've exhausted my memory trying to think back to my CCNA troubleshooting skills.  I'm at a loss for words.  They suggested I call a guy named Daniel.  Daniel ended up being a local computer tech who is coming out, charging me $35 for the trip.  I would really like to give him a call and say don't worry about coming out-the problem is fixed.  Does anyone have any advice that could get me up and going?

Just FYI I've reset both the Linksys WAP54G multiple times, same effect.  I've reset the Netgear AP-same result.  I have another off brand router.  Same result.  I've tried this on multiple laptops, xbox, droid, ipad...same result.  One valid IP address, the rest are left with a broken 169.254.

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

Further research suggests that the AP I'm using is only an AP, therefore does not have DHCP services.

However, I'm positive my Netgear unit has been hooked up with the same settings and had multiple clients hooked up and working.  I guess the possibility is there that the cable modem it was hooked up to at the time has DHCP services, and my cable modem does not. 

May be getting closer to my answer, will troubleshoot when I get home.  Looking forward to any advice.

Thanks

Just FYI I've reset both the Linksys WAP54G multiple times, same effect.  I've reset the Netgear AP-same result

This is an Access Point device. Has no routing capabilities.

What's the Netgear model?

Calin

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Sorry, but I have no idea what this topic has to do with Cisco support forum This is a general networking topic.

Nevertheless, what is the scope that you set on the device (Netgear or Linksys) for DHCP? You have a screenshot attached from a Linksys with DD-WRT to understand what I'm talking about. You'll not see the exact same setting, but just to have an idea.

HTH,

Calin

First off, I did notice that I posted this in the wrong section.  I apologize.  I'm just used to reading around this community instead of wasting my time with "Fix-it" forums.

I'll get the model of the Netgear.  I've used the netgear to connect multiple clients for many, many years.  Only with this Internet connection is there a problem.  Hooked it up next door, problem is solved and many clients can connect.

As for the DHCP table, it is set to its default value.  I've reset the unit multiple times, so it is just pulling the default setting.  On any other Internet connection, the Netgear works brilliantly.

As stated, I will check when I get home.  It may be something similar to the

Netgear WG602NA

Look here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Netgear+-+2.4GHz+Wireless+Access+Point/5521107.p?id=1051826248358&skuId=5521107

It's also and Access Point, the same as the WAP54G from Linksys. You cannot use and AP for your internet connection. They don't have the necessary capabilities.

You need a router with wireless capabilities like Linksys WRT5GL (this is an old model, but just to have an idea):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp;jsessionid=A949CA2CCA411A1D319FED5E1A4021AB.bbolsp-app03-38?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-6132213331584395592&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=WRT54G&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Catego...

Sorry!

HTH,

Calin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: